Wednesday, September 4, 2013

ASD vs Neuro-typical: Back to School Edition

I should be working on lesson plans for tomorrow, but I should get these swirling thoughts out of my head first.

Yesterday was the first day of school. Today was the second. My kids surprised me with their reactions to a) going back to school, b) the new routine, and c) mama going back to work.

Here are my observations.

Going back to school
Elijah LOVES school. He loves the routine, his teacher, his interpreters, and his beloved Becky (who will be moving on to a job in her field very soon here). He loves going back to the same classroom with most of the same kids. There is comfort in that planned out routine. He was standing at the door anxiously waiting for the squeaky brakes of the bus. When he finally heard them, Elijah did his sweet little happy dance. The teacher called me that afternoon to tell me what a wonderful day he had. *Sigh* It has been a good start.

Manny has not had a good start. On the first day, there was a glitch with his residency paperwork that left us in the office for 10 minutes figuring it all out. He was the last kid to walk into class. But, the first day was pretty good overall. The second day of school (today), my mom dropped him off and he cried, clung to her leg, and would not let go. He wanted mama and I couldn't be there (enter super duper mama guilt). They eventually got him calm and in the room. Later, I received a phone call from the office saying he was still having trouble but the sweet secretary with a light British accent pulled him out, made him feel special, calmed him down, and brought him back to class. She even called me to ask if I wanted to leave him a message to encourage him through the rest of the day. This is the note he clutched all afternoon:
He did great the rest of the day. I am SO thankful for his amazing teacher and the wonderful staff at his school.

Tomorrow I need to drop him off at friend's house so he can get a ride to school. I'm praying things go well. 
 I need them to as much as he does.

I can't really say why this is happening so backward. My ASD kid should be freaking out and my neuro-typical kid should super pumped, right? All the praying and prep work around me finding a job revolved around concern for Elijah. (We were blessed with a job that I can get him on the bus and Eric will be home to get him off the bus, so he is not effected at all!)

I'm not sure that I have a resolution other than intense prayer that my other 3 boys can go with the flow of different babysitters 3 days a week and a mama who shows up to work just a smidge late everyday because she wants an extra kiss from her baby or she is trying to fit in dropping kids off at school to maintain a sense of normal.

Shoot, I'm supposed to write about 2 other points. Well, another day perhaps. My man just brought me some ice cream and I should probably get to those kick-ass lesson plans.

2 comments:

  1. When did life get so HECTIC? (Me, too, with the hectic....)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can do it, the Scobies can! Love you! Prayers sent for the routine to set in! XO

    ReplyDelete