Sunday, August 25, 2013

Church: Place of chewies, backrubs, and communion

Today is Sunday. It was suppose to be the last day with Elijah's church parapro (cousin Michelle), but she had to cancel, so he was sitting with us. His usual pattern is to sit with us in "big" church for about 30-40 minutes, then leave with Michelle for his reward of blowing bubbles upstairs in the gross motor room. Sometimes he can sit longer, sometimes not much at all.

The noises, which I don't really notice unless it's totally quiet like at church, are the slurps and wet chewing on his favorite chewy: a rope of seatbelt material. Every few minutes there is sudden grab of our faces, drawing us in for a nose rub. This is usually accompanied by snorts and quieted giggles.

The actions, although very quiet, are very busy. Our hands are constantly moving. They are rubbing his back, or scratching his head, or massaging his legs/arms. Today I was "drawing" on his hands with capped pen. Eric and I looked at each other with a grin because he pulled both of our hands toward his back to scratch. He craves the sensory input. It has a calming effect on him and we are happy to busy our hands if that helps him.

Today was special. I usually miss service because I am working, but as miracles happen, I was in service! We three sat in a back pew of our full church. On the end of course in case we needed to bolt outta there. My Lijah sat in between us and listened, leaned, and loved. He stared at the beautiful windows. He listened to the wonderful music. And, he walked with us to take communion.

Thinking back to this morning, I get teary eyed. My crazy, unpredictable, loud, nutball ASD kiddo WALKED up with us to get communion. (He didn't take it because we weren't at the gluten free station, but still.) My church family got to see him in a different light. And we got to see him in a different light.

On days that seem out of control and completely messy, I will challenge myself to remember this day. That my child, my Father's child, sat with me in church. I can't say how much HE took in, but I sure was reminded of the blessing of small victories.

One of the beloved chewies. They get washed almost every night. :)

3 comments:

  1. Amen! I was actually saved around the time when I was Elijah's age! If you had seen me at church or in Sunday school class, I probably appeared to be so zoned out that you would have thought "there is no way that he could be soaking in any of the songs, sermons, or Sunday School lessons." But there I was at the age of eight on December 20th, 1988, at the "Singing Christmas Tree" in Grand Rapids Michigan, going forward to ask Jesus in to my heart. I know that I was saved that night and I know that what I was hearing and absorbing around me every Sunday morning and every Wednesday evening played a role in it! Never doubt the spiritual capabilities of us folks with ASD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil! I love having your perspective in our lives. We are so grateful for you.

      Delete