Monday, June 1, 2015

Ode to Caren

So I have this friend, let's call her Caren. I have known her for a long while now. I can remember bringing a meal to her small, hot apartment on the campus of Cranbrook when her son, G, was born. That was probably 9 years ago, or so.

Anyway, my friend has taught me so much over the past few years. I was never in a small group with her. I don't think we have ever met for coffee or anything like that either. BUT,  she has taught me through her actions.

This introverted, mother-of-4, has shown me what it's like to pine for God. I see it as she prepares to do something that is outside of her comfort zone (i.e. teach in front of church). I see it when she is homeschooling her children (needing her alone time for breathes of air). I see it in her home--revolving doors awaiting those who need to be loved on.

Sadly for us, she is moving away. Which isn't like she's dead or something! But, the face that I have taken for granted for so many years, is leaving our space.

I stopped over to drop a load of hand-me-downs for her youngest. I wanted it to be this big thing, where I say all my mushy, gushy stuff about how much I deeply respect her as a woman of God, a mama, and a wife. God told me to buy her coffee, help her pack, and tell her all this stuff. But, I chickened out. I didn't want to cry. So instead, I handed her 2 bags of clothes (so she couldn't hug me back) and raced away.

Even as I chickened out, she taught me. When asked "How are you doing though all this craziness?", she replied with, "God is giving me my daily bread. I want Him to give me my Costco-sized portion, but daily, I get just what I need."

That's Caren.

Boston is incredibly lucky to be gaining such an amazing woman, really, an amazing family.

Here's to Costco-sized portions of blessings, Caren!

No comments:

Post a Comment